Sunday, September 26, 2010

Knitting, above and below the waves.


In the week I went to a localish craft show with a couple of friends. I didn't intend spending anything at this show as I am going to The Knitting and Stitching Show at Ally Pally, in two weeks time and saving my pocket money for that. I had lots of time to look at the stands run by the Guilds and groups. This one was particularly stunning. 'Above and Below the Waves'.





This is a project organised by Alison and Ann Murray, in aid of the RNLI and their "Train One Save Many" campaign. 









As you can see it is a knitted seashore, above and below the waterline. Over 2000 knitter help create this master piece. It took 5 months to sew together and I moan about sewing up one jumper. 













The Project will be on show at venues next year, including:


The Brighton Centre  11th - 13th Feb 2011.


SECC Glasgow          3rd - 6th March 2011


NEC Birmingham      24th - 27th March 2011


Anintree Racecourse Liverpool  20th - 22nd May






Well worth a look.



2 comments:

Rose said...

Such fabulous work! I've always wanted to have a go at knitting as art but, while I'm a confident knitter, I adhere too rigidly too patterns.

Thanks for the great pix!

Unknown said...

I have been a knitter mostof my life and I've never seen anything like this. What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.

Maa