Saturday, January 15, 2011

A day off.

Wednesday I gave myself a day off, a day to myself. I took the bus and tootled up to Spotlight and then to the Salvos. I bought some light mauve pure wool 8ply, a gadget for turning my bag handles right way round and a spiky wheel thing for transferring paper patterns on to the fabric. 3mts of 8mm black elastic, some extra long sewing needles to do sashico and some white thread. Two crochet hooks and a packet of snap fasteners, another bag notion. Not very exciting you say, well quite the opposite for me.





With the mauve 8ply I am going to knit myself a cardigan. I've never knitted myself anything as big as a cardigan before and I am looking forward to starting.
The gadget for turning bag handles will be very well used as will the snap fasteners. I have an obsession with making bags, tote bags, handbags, book bags, useful little bags and useful big bags, I'll have a go at any and all.
The spiky wheel thingy and the sashico needles will be used for, sashico ( a Japanese form of embroidery, using a stitch similar to a running stitch, to form patterns, often white thread on blue background). I've wanted to have a try at this after seeing some beautiful examples at the Knit and Stitch Show, in London, in October. The crochet hooks, well a girl can't have enough hooks, can she!





Black elastic and white thread, to finish my ironingboard cover. Bex got me an ironing board from freecycle, all it needed was a new cover. I love doing the ironing but it has to be on a board, can't iron on the table, so awkward. Now I have a board I am happy, nothing nicer than a pile of clean, fresh washing, newly ironed.






The ironing board minus cover. I have a couple of old beach towels as the padding and a lovely piece of red gingham for the cover. I'm going to machine this up when I go to see Rose, on Sunday, as I don't have my machine with me. Slightly heavy for carry on baggage. 


No, not for me a day at the Mall but I do like shopping. Yarn shops, fabric shops and op shops are my idea of heaven. By the way I found two more pillowcases for my patchwork vintage cotton picnic quilt. I think I have enough to make a fair sized one, now. All ready to start when I go home. Only hope I don't get stopped at customs, " Why madam have you fifteen odd pillowcases in your suitcase." 

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like you've had a good day at Spotlight. It's so easy to get carried away there and walk out with half the shop!

I tried sashico a few years ago. Another of the many things I start and never finish...one day.

Hope you have a wonderful time with Rose :)

Unknown said...

You have been having fun. The cardigan will be nice in that lavender colour. For some reason it reminds me of Bette Davis! LOL!
Enjoy your visit and make the most of it. I imagine you'll be starting to miss home soon. Maa.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the cardigan when it is finished. I love the color you chose.

J-in-Wales said...

I love sashiko quilting. Not sure my stitching is neat enough to do it seriously though. Anyway, I look forward to seeing your end results.

Kath said...

I'm glad you are also a fan of freecycle, we got rid of so much stuff over the years, but also come by some useful items.
You will be a busy bee when you get home!

Tammy said...

great thinking with the towels for padding Pippa. A lovely stash of new goodies you have there!